Thursday, August 2, 2007

Football Heating Up

Over the past couple days I have noticed that football is beginning to come to the forefront of the media. More people are talking about it more often, articles upon articles are starting to heat up, getting fans ready for the upcoming season.

I'm beginning to enter football heaven. I wake up every morning to NFL Network. I watch and listen for my daily update on NFL training camps, contract negotiations, player holdouts, injury reports, etc. I also make sure I get my daily dose of SportsCenter for the same reason (in addition to hearing about other sports). I swear I'm in love with ESPN's time slot from 3:30-4:30 p.m. on weekdays, when they show College Football Live, followed by NFL Live. I've also just found that the NFL Network is airing a new show called College Football Now, beginning on Aug. 21 at 6:30 p.m. It doesn't get much better than that in late July and early August.

I'm just as much of a fan of the game as I am a player. I make it a point to know what's going on in the football world, especially college football. I spend lots of time on Rivals.com. As a matter of fact, I often times listen to Rivals Radio while reading the website. It's by far my most visited website. I read message boards, articles on many many teams each day, read about recruits, watch film, lots of film. I watch it to see if I see what the Rivals scouts see. Would I rate this guy as high? What system would he fit in? What do I like/dislike about him? I love this stuff.

With all of the media days this past week (Big East, ACC, Big 12, SEC, Pac-10, and Big Ten) there have been so many questions and articles. Some questions answered, some not. I think I've read almost every article there is to read about almost every conference. Yeah, I'm that serious about this.

I have to say one of the most entertaining things I've seen was South Carolina Head Coach, Steve Spurrier's press conference. ESPN ran a clip of him talking about so many different subjects. Everything from his team's depth at running back to whether or not an incoming freshman would still have his girlfriend after his first year. I laughed when I saw this.

Honoring Coach Hep
People also want to know how we're going to honor Coach Hep. As you may have read in a few articles, it's being left up to the seniors. So, to tell you the truth, I don't even know what we're doing. As soon as they announce it to the public I'll post it up on this blog.

"Quiet Strength" #1!
Tony Dungy's book, Quiet Strength, just hit #1 on the New York Times' Best Seller list.

I'm currently reading Quiet Strength, and let me tell you it is one of the greatest books I've ever read, and I'm only about on chapter three! (And I do read lots of books). It's so inspirational and I love how he wears his faith on his sleeve. Seeing a Christian man demonstrate and show his faith on he world's biggest stage is something to be admired. Everyone should read this book. Not only football fans, but EVERYONE!

Message For The Road
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts."

2 comments:

iunova said...

yes football has taken over every part of the media. from information on teams, and predictions, to reporting or whatever Jim Rome wants to call it. keep it up, still waiting for the 1st.

Evan said...

Brian, great blog, great outlet for your writing talents and really fun for IU football fans to feel connected...

Question:
Which linebacker do you predict will be the most improved this season?