Tuesday, October 14, 2008

IDS Column: Weezy a sports pundit?

I am currently a sports and men's fashion cloumnist for the Indiana Daily Student. I have been writing for them since May, 2008. I have held down my columnist gig since August of this year. I will now be posting my articles on this blog just incase you don't get to read them in the paper or at idsnews.com. My columns run in the paper every Teusday and Friday and will be posted on this sight soon thereafter. Here's my most recent column. Enjoy.

In a weekend when I can honestly say I watched very little sports, it appears from the looks of SportsCenter to be one of great excitement.

I was researching for this week’s column by surfing the Web, and I came across a lot of interesting material. In an article written by ESPN columnist Mark Schlabach, I noticed Clemson fired their football coach, Tommy Bowden, after a disappointing 3-3 start.

Chicago Tribune reporter Fred Mitchell wrote about how the Falcons pulled off a miracle in beating the Chicago Bears.

ESPN NASCAR blogger Ryan McGee mentioned Cindy McCain showed up at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in Charlotte, N.C., to watch the NASCAR Bank of America 500.

But finally, I came across Lil’ Wayne’s ESPN blog to find some baseball news, and I thought, “Wait a minute. Did I just see a blog by Lil’ Wayne? The same rapper who released The Carter III earlier this year? Young Money? Weezy?”

Yes, that Lil’ Wayne. I don’t know about you, but I found this to be a very creative and innovative idea by ESPN. Kudos to them for making such a move.

I began reading the blog to see if this was for real. It certainly is.

On top of that, he actually knows his stuff. He puts his own spin on things, which makes his blog an entertaining read.

Who would’ve known Weezy’s favorite player is Brett Favre? Here’s what he had to say about the wily old vet: “Now on to Brett Favre. He must know God’s phone number, ‘cause he is superhuman. Like, Brett Favre? Come on. He’s like 3,900 years old and he threw for six touchdowns? He’s never even done that in his whole career. ... There’s a reason why he’s my favorite player of all-time.”

Also, check out his comical take on Aaron Rodgers’ shoulder injury: “It’s a tricky thing. They say shoulder, and when they say that, that means he could be seriously injured. It’s like me telling you, ‘I’m sick,’ but not telling you what’s sick about me. I’m skeptical about it, because when you say something like ‘he has a sprained shoulder,’ come on, who sprains their shoulder? I’ve never sprained my shoulder.”

Obviously, Lil’ Wayne is no athlete, but I can definitely see where he’s coming from. This is the sports world we live in – get used to it, Weezy. But who does sprain a shoulder?

I don’t know how long Lil’ Wayne will continue to be an ESPN blogger, but now that I’ve discovered it, I plan on being a regular reader. You can read his blogs on ESPN.com by searching “Lil’ Wayne.”

It still remains to be seen if he’s capable of actually maintaining a career as a sports pundit. As a sports blogger/columnist myself, I say welcome to the club, Weezy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.indysportsnation.com/sports/isn-071410-himes-iu-north-story,0,6053811.story

Anonymous said...

Leneil Himes looks to win for North All Stars and IUhttp://www.indysportsnation.com/sports/isn-071410-himes-iu-north-story,0,6053811.story